Our day-long Core Seminar ("Write To Change The World") is designed to test assumptions about our individual knowledge, and what it takes to be influential on a large scale. We explore the source of credibility; the patterns and elements of persuasion; the difference between being “right” and being effective; how to preach beyond the choir; and how to think bigger about what you know—to have more impact in the world. Participants emerge with concrete results, including the outline for an op-ed.
In our 1.5 day Advanced Core Seminar ("Write To Change The World - Advanced"), the additional time enhances discoveries and results because participants have the opportunity to absorb and act upon information from day one, and to test out their ideas—fleshed out overnight—with a room full of original thinkers of all stripes. Participants leave the weekend with a draft of an op-ed and time to workshop in the presence of a senior journalist.
Those who have completed either of the above seminars are welcome to join our Level II Seminar ("Accelerating Ideas"). During this day-long program, we test hunches and play cross-pollination games. We explore the source of innovative thinking (where do good ideas come from?), and we experiment on how to bend the conversation of the moment toward the issues participants care most deeply about through unlikely, yet authentic, connections across people, time and space.
Completion of any of the above seminars grants participants follow-up access to our national network of high-level Mentor-Editors (up to 3 months).
*Note: If not otherwise specified, all below dates refer to our one-day Core Seminar.
For groups that want to purchase 10 or more spots at once, learn more about our group rates.
UPCOMING SEMINARS: BY CITY
- May 19, 2018 - Register
- November 18, 2017 - Register
- November 19, 2017 (Level II) - Register
- February 17, 2018 - Register
- April 7-8, 2018 (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
+ Los Angeles
- December 2, 2017 - Register
- December 3, 2017 (Level II - Tentative) Register
- February 25, 2018 Register
- April 29, 2018 Register
+ New York City
- December 2, 2017 - Register
- December 3, 2017 (Level II) - Register
- January 27, 2018 - Register
- March 3, 2018 - Register
- April 20-21, 2018 (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
+ New Orleans
- March 24, 2018 - Register
+ San Diego
- March 24, 2018 - Register
+ San Francisco
- December 9, 2017 - Register
- December 10, 2017 (Level II) - Register
- February 10-11, 2018 (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
- March 17, 2018 - Register
+ Washington, D.C.
UPCOMING SEMINARS: BY DATE
+ October 2017
- October 21, Atlanta - Register
+ November 2017
- November 11, Seattle - Register
- November 18, Boston - Register
- November 18, Charlotte - Register
- November 19, Boston (Level II) - Register
- November 18-19, Oakland (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
+ December 2017
- December 2, Chicago - Register
- December 2, New York City - Register
- December 3, New York City (Level II) - Register
- December 2, Los Angeles - Register
- December 3, Los Angeles - (Level II - Tentative*) - Register
- December 9, Washington, D.C. - Register
- December 9, San Francisco - Register
- December 10, Washingston, D.C.(Level II) - Register
- December 10, San Francisco (Level II) - Register
+ January 2018
+ February 2018
- February 25, Los Angeles Register
- February 2/10-11, San Francisco (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
- February 17, Boston - Register
+ March 2018
- March 3, Atlanta - Register
- March 3, NYC - Register
- March 3, Seattle - Register
- March 10, Chicago - Register
- March 17, Tucson - Register
- March 17, Charlotte - Register
- March 24, San Diego - Register
- March 24, New Orleans - Register
- March 31, Oakland - Register
+ April 2018
- April 7-8, Boston (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
- April 29, Los Angeles - Register
- April 20-21, NYC (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
- April 28-29, Washington, D.C. (Advanced Core Seminar - 1.5 Days) - Register
+ May 2018
- May 19, Boston - Register
Want to join us, but don't see a date that works for you? Sign up here for updates on new cities and dates as they become available.
Write to Change the World: Core Seminar
Who should attend?
This program is open to everyone who wants to change the world, across color, creed, class, gender, orientation, political persuasion, and beyond. However, we target underrepresented voices, including women, with valuable (and underrepresented) knowledge and experience. Because of our founding mission, the majority of participants in all workshops must identify as female.
This program is also suitable for all levels of players. It is designed to be of highest value whether you are at the beginning of your career, at the top of your game, or somewhere in the middle, side, or other. Our focus is on thinking with power and clarity, not on media or writing per se. Thus our workshop is also equally powerful for those with or without publishing experience. If you'd like to bring The OpEd Project to your university, nonprofit, conference, community organization or company, contact us.
Our Scholarship Policy
We are committed to ensuring OpEd Project programs are affordable for any underrepresented person who is committed to changing the world with their voice. To that end, we provide full and partial scholarships for up to 40% of participants in any workshop. Our scholarship policy follows a sustainable social justice model in which those who can afford to pay help support those who cannot. For more information and to apply for a scholarship, click here.
Our Cancellation Policy
Tuition is fully refundable if a cancellation is made within 24 hours of purchase. After that, it is nonrefundable. This is necessary because of our sustainable social justice model, in which scholarship spots are allocated in part based on the number of paid participants who have registered. However, if a conflict arises, you may transfer your registration to another date, city or person, as follows.
Should you need to reschedule, you may apply your tuition to a future workshop in any city where we are active, within a calendar year, at no additional charge, so long as you contact us at least five business days prior to the date of your original workshop. With 5 days notice or less there is a $100 rescheduling fee, as we cap our sessions at 20 and will be effectively holding an empty seat for you. If you do not use your tuition within a calendar year, it will be lost.
Alternatively, you may "pay it forward" and send another person to the workshop for which you registered. If you choose to do this, and also wish to register yourself for a future session, we will grant a $50 credit toward your tuition for your future session (please request this before your register for the next session).
If you do not show up for a session for which you have registered, and have not given us advance notice, we cannot transfer your registration.